The following happened a few weeks ago, I know, I thought I was getting better at posting as things happened too, then I remembered this post which I has planned to write.

Basically all I want to say is that me and my mate Jay are in the process of making a batch of mead.

image

Boiling water

We had been saying about doing this for some time now and a few weeks ago we finally Got our added into gear and got on with it. Were going with a very basic recipe of honey, water and yeast. That’s it.

We did read a few blogs and got some ideas about the details. We learned from a video on basicbrewing.com that it is best to use spring water or to boil tap water, this means there will be no chlorine in the must. In hind sight it was probably better to buy spring than what we did, which was wait hours for tap water to boil.

image

Different website’s suggested differing amounts of honey, we went with an average of 5.1kg for our 5 gallon batch.

image

When it was all said and done we got a hydrometer reading of around 1.072, if we can get that to fement down to around 1.000 then were looking at about 9.7%. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and incase you were wondering we have no money so we used Tesco Everyday Honey.